SO, so much to talk about this Friday. I’m going to keep it local, because you can only take so much Trump. Things like:
- In an interview with Max Roth of Fox13, Senator Orrin Hatch (3rd in line to the presidency, I should mention), admitted that this election was not the first time that Russia had interfered in our elections. BUT, he said, “we’ve done a lot to them too”, and “it’s a big deal but not as big as people are making it”. Unbelievable. http://fox13now.com/2017/02/21/sen-orrin-hatch-talks-russia-trump-tweets…
- The Outdoor Retailer Convention is officially leaving Utah. That has a direct effect on downtown businesses.
- Turns out everyone in Salt Lake during the 2002 olympics may have been spied on by the NSA, as authorized by President Bush. http://fox13now.com/2017/02/22/nsa-denies-spying-on-everyone-in-slc-duri…
- Porn is once again being deemed a public health hazard. I guess “Porn” must be the first word in PM2.5.
- There’s the John Swallow case.
- Food taxes are up for debate again. This directly affects the poor and those on fixed incomes.
- There have been some federal immigration raids causing some immigrants to flee to Canada, and worrying those who stay. In Utah, immigrants contribute about $410M per year in state and local taxes and have $4B in spending power http://www.good4utah.com/news/top-stories/bipartisan-group-calls-for-sen…
- Some good news in a unanimous vote in the state house for mandatory testing of all rape kits http://member.sltrib.com/home/4955994-168/not-a-dissenting-vote-in-house
- The vice chair of Wasatch GOP resigns over his letter against equal pay for women http://fox13now.com/2017/02/17/vice-chair-of-wasatch-county-gop-resigns-…
- HB11 aims to remove bitartisan diversity requirements for state boards and commisions. Because who needs a diversity of views? http://www.sltrib.com/home/4955427-155/democrat-draws-warning-over-claim…
- Rep Ken Ivory wants to take $350k from the Natural Resources Appropriations Subcommittee, which he chairs, and spend it on a refresher course on federalism for the House. Of course Democrats are aksing why that $350k couldn’t be spent on public education. http://www.sltrib.com/home/4955605-155/house-votes-to-spend-350k-on
- The DABC may get to reinvest $1M of the $405M it brings in. That’s a pittance, but it’s encouraging to know that Republicans might understand a little about business, as they always claim to. Oh, but it’s a bill sponsored by a Democrat. http://www.sltrib.com/home/4955358-155/bill-giving-liquor-agency-a-1m
- Chaffetz probing Bryce over a tweet about Bears Ears http://www.sltrib.com/home/4967844-155/chaffetz-probes-bryce-canyon-twee…
- The head of the Utah GOP has encouraged GOP leaders to avoid in-person townhall meetings, so some have taken it on themselves to schedule townhall meetings for them http://kutv.com/news/local/utah-voters-to-hold-town-hall-meetings-with-o…
- And of course, like every legislative session, there’s changes to the Utah liquor laws afoot http://member.sltrib.com/home/4972546-168/gehrke-whats-bogging-down-utah…
So join Jeremiah and Laura this Friday starting at 6pm at the Piper Down.
Drinking Liberally SLC meets from 6:00-9:00 every every Friday in the back room of the Piper Down (1492 S. State Street).
Drinking Liberally SLC,
Reading Liberally SLC
Check out “Blue in a Red State: The Survival Guide to Life in the Real America,” an uplifting new book by Drinking Liberally co-founder Justin Krebs that shares stories of liberals living in conservative communities across the country. A fun read for liberals in red states, blue states, and in between.
Join the National Drinking Liberally Facebook page to be part of our national progressive conversation online.
Thank you for being part of the Living Liberally family — home of Drinking Liberally, Laughing Liberally, Screening Liberally, Eating Liberally, Talking Liberally, Reading Liberally, Praying Liberally, Shooting Liberally, Blogging Liberally, Working Liberally, Playing Liberally, Thinking Liberally, Learning Liberally, Leading Liberally and more. Stay involved and keep Living Liberally.
Unsubscribe from future messages from Living Liberally.
Living Liberally | 151 West 46th Street, 8th Fl | New York, NY 10036 | United States